Navran Associates is focused on the current ethics and leadership challenges to Boards of Directors, Board members, CEOs, executives and Ethics/Compliance Offices and Committees. Such issues include the following:
- How have recent updates to the Federal Sentencing Guidelines for Organizations, the imposition of Sarbanes-Oxley and other governance challenges changed our responsibilities regarding independence and ethics oversight?
- What are the similarities and differences between the roles, responsibilities and qualifications of an 'Audit Committee of the Board' and an 'Ethics Committee of the Board'?
- How do we determine whether to adopt a Board-specific statement of values and Code of Ethics?
- How do we best execute our obligations for ethics oversight and periodic, independent ethics assessment?
Issues Facing CEOs and Senior Executives
- With greater Board independence, how do I address changes in my ethics management responsibilities?
- What are the risks and vulnerabilities inherent in the design and implementation of our current ethics program?
- How can I reconcile the changing demands from my Board for ethics oversight with our embedded ethics program and practices?
- How do I realize the competitive advantages of an ethics program that goes beyond complying with the minimums required by law and regulation?
- What organizational relationship ought to exist between the ethics/compliance function and initiatives addressing areas such corporate social responsibility, diversity and sustainability?
Issues Facing Ethics/Compliance Offices and Committees
- How do we ensure that the Ethics/Compliance Office/ Committee is anticipating and meeting the needs of the Board and the CEO?
- How can we ensure that the Board and CEO set the appropriate goals and expectations and provide sufficient resources for the Ethics/Compliance Office/Committee?
- When, how and by whom should our Code of Ethics be reviewed and updated?
- How do we evaluate the effectiveness of our classroom and/or online ethics training programs delivery?
- How do we effectively coordinate with other functions that share in the overall ethics responsibility, e.g., legal, audit, line management and human resources?